The Family and Youth Institute (The FYI) is a 501(c)3 not for profit research and education institute dedicated to strengthening young people and their families. The FYI focuses on innovative research and community education to achieve its objective. The FYI is growing rapidly, especially with increasing demand for its research output and community education offerings. Interested in a career with FYI’s team of vibrant educators, researchers and community activists? See below for ways to join the efforts of The Family and Youth Institute!
- Working in partnership with the ED, help implement new processes and approaches to achieve The FYI’s strategic plan
- Leading and coordinating strategic planning process for internal executive team
- Improve administrative and operational services within The FYI
- Documenting policies and procedures and communicating the policies and procedures with the rest of the team
- Develop and maintain a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization
- Coordinate logistics for weekly executive meetings
- Coordinate logistics for annual in-person retreat
- Project management – managing and coordinating various projects across The FYI
- Coordinate and lead internship program, including interviews, onboarding, and offboarding
- Managing and coordinating across the various teams and individuals within The FYI
- Building team connectedness across our varied team members
- Lead regular conversations with team members
- Coordinate volunteer opportunities, including planning and marketing
- Assist with office management, including maintaining supply inventory
- Assist with accounting entries and bookkeeping
- Work with Business Manager to complete annual state registrations
Additional duties as requested by the Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required; at least 2 years of professional experience in a general management role, ideally in a rapidly evolving institution
- Highly organized and ability to wear multiple hats in a fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions. Preference for experience with previous organizational and management software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities, shaping processes, guiding investment in people and systems, and developing an infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization
- Thorough understanding of project management; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
- Excellent communication and coalition building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team using online communication and management tools.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, empathy, and a commitment to The FYI’s mission
- Flexible work hours, part-time position (20 hours/week)
- Virtual/ remote work flexibility
- Some travel required
The Family and Youth Institute is searching for creative, excited, and dedicated individuals who would like to spend the next five months in a unique digital work environment doing hands-on meaningful work that directly benefits the diverse American Muslim community. Don’t have a background in mental health? Not to worry! The FYI is looking for interns from a range of backgrounds who are willing to learn and use communications skills, business management skills, graphic design skills, as well as clinical research skills. Past interns have helped develop marketing campaigns, done hands-on, in-depth clinical research and data analysis, as well as developed deep and meaningful relationships with their team mentors. The FYI is dedicated to making this internship an important milestone in each intern’s professional development and we seek dedicated individuals to join our team! The FYI invites exceptional individuals from diverse educational backgrounds to its 2019 internship program. Interns must exhibit professionalism and attention to detail, as well as strong team-work, organizational, and communication skills. The internship positions are part-time, stipended, and virtual.
So, what’s in it for me?
One thing we promise is that you won’t be doing any stapling or copying! We have a wide variety of projects and a dedicated team of professionals to mentor you along the way. Our projects range from working directly on a research team to helping design our next video or infographic, from researching best-practices for nonprofit marketing campaigns, to translating research into a bulletin that will go directly into the hands of your very own community! The work you do with The FYI will be meaningful and useful and we invite you to apply today!
Don’t take our word for it, hear from past interns!
” I loved interning for the FYI, and I especially appreciated [my mentor] a lot. She really guided me and supported me through my research. She was great in every way and was very patient. Having a mentor was a huge plus in this program.”
“I honestly love everything about it, from being able to research a topic I am passionate about, to [mentor’s] guidance and supervision, as well as being able to meet other team members during the Google Hangouts [meetings]. It’s been a very beneficial experience”
“This internship is more than what I was expecting– as a virtual internship, I think it still allowed me to engage with other members, who were all so interactive, kind, and welcoming.”
- February 1st-July 1st, 2019
- 10-15 hrs/week
- Flexible hours, virtual location
- Weekly meeting with project supervisor
- Monthly team meetings
How do I apply?
Applicants should submit a CV/resume along with a cover letter with the following information included:
- University/College attending/attended
- Overall and Major GPA
- Expected graduation date
- Email address
- Phone number
- What do you want to gain from the internship?
- How did you hear about this internship program?
Strong candidates will be invited for an interview with project supervisors who will determine their eligibility to participate in the program. Interested parties should identify the area they are interested in (research translation, business, marketing, graphic design, grant writing, fund development) and submit a resume along with references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will close on November 30th, 2018.