The Family and Youth Institute (The FYI) is a 501(c)3 not for profit research and education institute dedicated to strengthening young people and their families. The FYI focuses on innovative research and community education to achieve its objective. The FYI is growing rapidly, especially with increasing demand for its research output and community education offerings. Interested in a career with FYI’s team of vibrant educators, researchers and community activists? See below for ways to join the efforts of The Family and Youth Institute!
The Family and Youth Institute (The FYI) strengthens and empowers individuals, families, and communities through research and education efforts that promote: positive youth development, healthy marriages, effective parenting, and mental health and well being. The FYI has been growing rapidly in its impactful services to the community and is looking to add an Operations Officer to the team. Visit our website, www.TheFYI.org for more information about The FYI.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Operations Officer will play a critical role in helping The FYI achieve its vision. The Operations Officer will be responsible for a variety of significant activities including internal operations and program evaluation services. S/he will be instrumental in ensuring consistent and effective internal processes and communications in order to strengthen The FYI’s programs and position the organization for continued success. While candidates in all locations will be considered, since much of the work is virtual in nature, those in the Metro Detroit area will be given preference for smoother office operations.
Organizational Planning (30%)
- Working in partnership with the ED, help implement new processes and approaches to achieve The FYI’s strategic plan
- Leading and coordinating strategic planning process for internal executive team
Internal Team Management (20%)
- Improve administrative and operational services within The FYI
- Documenting policies and procedures and communicating the policies and procedures with the rest of the team
- Develop and maintain a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization
- Coordinate logistics for weekly executive meetings
- Coordinate logistics for annual in-person retreat
Project Management (20%)
- Project management – managing and coordinating various projects across The FYI
- Coordinate and lead internship program, including interviews, onboarding, and offboarding
External Team Management (10%)
- Managing and coordinating across the various teams and individuals within The FYI
- Building team connectedness across our varied team members
- Lead regular conversations with team members
- Coordinate volunteer opportunities, including planning and marketing
Administrative Duties (10%)
- Assist with office management, including maintaining supply inventory
Financial Operations (10%)
- Assist with accounting entries and bookkeeping
- Work with Business Manager to complete annual state registrations
Additional duties as requested by the Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required; at least 2 years of professional experience in a general management role, ideally in a rapidly evolving institution
- Highly organized and ability to wear multiple hats in a fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions. Preference for experience with previous organizational and management software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities, shaping processes, guiding investment in people and systems, and developing an infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization
- Thorough understanding of project management; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
- Excellent communication and coalition building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team using online communication and management tools.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, empathy, and a commitment to The FYI’s mission
- Flexible work hours, part-time position (20 hours/week)
- Virtual/ remote work flexibility
- Some travel required
Those interested should submit a letter of interest and a resume to email@example.com. This position will be considered open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Family and Youth Institute (The FYI) is a 501(c)3 not for profit research and education institute dedicated to strengthening young people and their families. The FYI focuses on innovative research and community education to achieve its objective. The FYI invites exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from diverse educational backgrounds and with a strong desire to help strengthen young people and their families to our internship program. Interns must exhibit professionalism and attention to detail, as well as strong team-work, organizational, and communication skills.
The Family and Youth Institute is searching for creative, excited, and dedicated individuals who would like to spend the next five months in a unique digital work environment doing hands-on meaningful work that directly benefits the diverse American Muslim community. Don’t have a background in mental health? Not to worry! The FYI is looking for interns from a range of backgrounds who are willing to learn and use communications skills, business management skills, graphic design skills, as well as clinical research skills. Past interns have helped develop marketing campaigns, done hands-on, in-depth clinical research and data analysis, as well as developed deep and meaningful relationships with their team mentors. The FYI is dedicated to making this internship an important milestone in each intern’s professional development and we seek dedicated individuals to join our team!
The FYI invites exceptional individuals from diverse educational backgrounds to its 2018 internship program. Interns must exhibit professionalism and attention to detail, as well as strong team-work, organizational, and communication skills. The internship positions are part-time, stipended, and virtual.
So, what’s in it for me?
One thing we promise is that you won’t be doing any stapling or copying! We have a wide variety of projects and a dedicated team of professionals to mentor you along the way. Our projects range from working directly on a research team to helping design our next video or infographic, from researching best-practices for nonprofit marketing campaigns, to translating research into a bulletin that will go directly into the hands of your very own community! The work you do with The FYI will be meaningful and useful and we invite you to apply today!
Don’t take our word for it, hear from past interns!
” I loved interning for the FYI, and I especially appreciated [my mentor] a lot. She really guided me and supported me through my research. She was great in every way and was very patient. Having a mentor was a huge plus in this program.”
“I honestly love everything about it, from being able to research a topic I am passionate about, to [mentor’s] guidance and supervision, as well as being able to meet other team members during the Google Hangouts [meetings]. It’s been a very beneficial experience”
“This internship is more than what I was expecting– as a virtual internship, I think it still allowed me to engage with other members, who were all so interactive, kind, and welcoming.”
- July 9- December 9, 2018
- 10-15 hrs/week
- Flexible hours, virtual location
- Weekly meeting with project supervisor
- Monthly team meetings
How do I apply?
Applications are now closed. Please check back for our next internship cycle! Continue reading to learn about our program and application process.
Applicants should submit a CV/resume along with a cover letter with the following information included:
- University/College attending/attended
- Overall and Major GPA
- Expected graduation date
- Email address
- Phone number
- What do you want to gain from the internship?
- How did you hear about this internship program?
Strong candidates will be invited for an interview with project supervisors who will determine their eligibility to participate in the program.
Interested parties should identify the area they are interested in (research, business, marketing, graphic design, grant writing, fund development) and submit a resume along with references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are now closed. Please check back for our next internship cycle!
Consider joining the Ambassador Team. The Ambassador Team is a group of individuals based all over the United States and Canada that work together to broaden the reach and spread the word about The Family and Youth Institute. Ambassador’s work within their community to help spread the word about The FYI’s latest research, latest infographics and videos and latest events.
Are you able to make announcements at your local masjid? Do you have access to your local community’s list serve? Becoming an FYI Ambassador is as simple as being well-connected and passionate about helping us bring The FYI’s research to your community!
This team will support the Community Engagement Manager in efforts to promote and publicize the organization.
If you are interested in becoming an FYI Ambassador, please contact us today!
The Family and Youth Institute (The FYI) is a 501(c)3 not for profit institute dedicated to strengthening young people and their families. The FYI focuses on (1) innovative research and (2) community education to obtain its objective.
The FYI is seeking a highly motivated and organized individual to serve as Project Lead for the Black Muslim Youth Project (BMY). This project looks at the varying factors contributing to Black Muslim youth development, such as issues of identity, relationships (family, peer, community), experiences of discrimination and institutionalized oppression, as well as historical trauma that continues to impact the psyche of Black Muslim youth. The outcomes of this project include: contributing to scholarly research on Black Muslim youth and their families as well as developing resources for young people, parents, schools, and masajid to help support Black Muslim youth development.
The position is part-time (20-25 hours a week) and current funding is for 9 months. The continuation of the position is dependent on ongoing funding and satisfactory performance. The BMY Project Lead will manage the development and coordination of BMY research and education efforts. He or she will work in coordination with Dr. Sameera Ahmed, the BMY Project Principal Investigator. The Project Lead is expected to work independently and collaboratively with other FYI team members as well as diverse leadership of varying Black Muslim communities. Individuals applying for the position must have good organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and be detail oriented.
- Project management
- Support research analysis of gathered data
- Manuscript preparation
- Engage community members and obtain feedback on research findings and resource development
- Content creation of research-based resources
- Dissemination of BMY related research-based resource
- Additional duties as requested by the Principal Investigator
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in social science field
- Prior research experience preferred
- Prior knowledge and experience working within Black Muslim communities and spaces preferred
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Virtual work environment
- Work hours are flexible but must be available to meet during business hours for meetings
Interested parties should submit a resume along with references to: email@example.com
Have other questions regarding the Family and Youth Institute? Contact us today!